6 oz (175 g) self-raising flour
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs
6 oz (175 g) caster sugar
6 oz (175 g) butter, very soft at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
4 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
4 tbsp whipped cream
1 tbsp icing sugar to serve
You will also need two 8 inch (20 cm) wide and 1½ inch (4 cm) deep round sponge tins, lightly greased and lined with baking paper.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, lifting the sieve quite high to give the flour a good airing as it goes down, then simply add all the other ingredients.
3. Now, using an electric hand whisk, combine them for about 1 minute until you have a smooth creamy consistency.
4. Then divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins, level off using the back of a tablespoon, and bake on a middle shelf in the oven for about 25 minutes.
5. The cakes are cooked when you press lightly with your little finger and the centre springs back. Remove them from the oven and after about 30 seconds loosen the edges by sliding a palette knife all round them out onto a wire rack.
6. Now carefully peel back the lining by gently pulling it back. Lightly place the other cooling tray on top and just flip them bother over so that the tops are facing upwards (this is to prevent them sticking to the tray).
7. When cooled, sandwich them together with the jam and cream.
8. Finally, dust the whole cake generously with icing sugar.