Makes about 20 small cookies
The heavenly combination of ginger, nutmeg & cinnamon is undoubtedly the ultimate festive flavour. These cookies are gluten, dairy, refined sugar-free - & even vegan - yet they taste sensational! The mixture of hazelnuts & almonds with the spoon of coconut sugar creates wonderful texture, & the freshly grated ginger adds a fiery zing! They are yummiest when fresh out of the oven, although if you can manage to wait until they are cool enough to eat, it’s definitely worth it!
· 1 cup ground almonds
· ½ cup ground hazelnuts
· ¼ cup arrowroot powder
· 1 tsp ground ginger
· 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
· ½ tsp ground cinnamon
· ½ tsp ground nutmeg
· ½ tsp orange zest
· a pinch of salt
· ¼ teaspoon baking powder
· 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
· ½ cup pure maple syrup
· 1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp gluten-free flour (rice, quinoa etc.) for rolling
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Next combine the dry ingredients - in a large mixing bowl combined the ground almonds and hazelnuts, arrowroot, spices, salt and baking soda and stir well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the orange zest, fresh ginger, coconut oil, maple syrup and coconut sugar and stir until well combined.
4. Then add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until a sticky dough is formed.
5. Place the dough in the freezer for 20 minutes to help it firm up. After 20 minutes, place the dough on a large piece of baking paper and sprinkle it with 1 tablespoon of gluten-free flour to stop it sticking.
6. Roll the dough using the rolling pin to make a flat sheet about 2inches thick. If the cookie cutters stick to the dough, dust them with some of the flour.
7. Place on the baking tray and bake in the oven on a middle shelf for about 10 minutes.
8. Remove once they start to become golden and let them cool on the tray before icing them.