Turmeric Sweet Potato Pancakes
Serves 1 (makes about 8 small pancakes)
These are incredibly easy to whip up, and not only do they taste delicious, but sweet potatoes are also a powerhouse of nutrients. Bursting with so many essential vitamins and minerals, including A & C, magnesium, potassium, fiber, they also greatly assist with muscle recovery making this a perfect protein and complex carb-packed breakfast. I often steam the sweet potato the night before so I can just throw it in the blender in the morning with the rest of the ingredients. I love turmeric for its incredible superfood qualities, but you could replace it with cinnamon or ginger, or vanilla extract if you like your pancakes sweeter. And, of course, feel free to add whatever toppings you desire!
½ cup of cooked sweet potato (about ½ medium sweet potato)
1 tsp ground flaxseed
½ tsp ground turmeric
Coconut oil (for frying)
1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend well until there are no lumps and the mixture has a thick consistency. If the mixture gets too thick, you can always add a tablespoon of milk (dairy or non-dairy).
2. Pour this mixture into a measuring jug for pouring or a bowl and get your ladle ready J
3. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil in a frying pan and place on a high heat.
4. Pour or ladle the mixture in to the pan to make small pancakes – about 10 cm in diameter. Flip them accordingly – when they start to crisp up at the sides they will be done underneath and ready for flipping.
5. Serve in a stack with any number of toppings J I like to drizzle mine in tahini and sprinkle them with fresh blueberries, but you could add dried or fresh fruits, nuts or yogurt, and drizzle them with honey or pure maple syrup – or, if you prefer something savoury, they taste fantastic with some sliced avocado.