Makes about 12
2 ½ cups of chickpeas
1 big handful of fresh spinach
1 tbsp of pine nuts (or chopped pistachios also work well)
1 large handful of fresh coriander (or 1tsp of coriander powder)
1 clove of garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
1 tbsp of tahini
1 tbsp of sesame seeds
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 tsp chili flakes (if you like it spicy)
a pinch of salt and pepper
1. Line a baking tray with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 190 C.
2. If you are using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them well and place them in a food processor or blender.
3. Add in all the rest of the ingredients whizz together until well combined but not too much as you don’t want the mixture to become like a past – we still have to roll these falafel babies.
4. Once the mixture is a nice mince-like consistency, take a tablespoon and scoop out a spoonful at a time, rolling it around with your hands to form little balls – and don’t worry if they are not perfectly round/all the same size, as they will still taste delicious!
5. Place the balls on the lined tray and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes before devouring!
N.B. These can be kept in the fridge for about 3 days and in the freezer for about a month.