Spiced Lentil Bites
Makes about 10 large bites
These are a brilliant way to use up leftover lentils! Packed full of protein and endless vitamins and minerals, you can whip these up in a matter of minutes. You can eat them as a snack on the go, or are delicious as a starter with some dips such as hummus or guacamole, or even on top of a green leafy salad. If you don’t have kale or carrot, then spinach and zucchini is also a winning combination. You won’t need to cook the spinach and sub in the same amount of carrots for zucchini. Make sure you squeeze as much water as you can out of the zucchini though, otherwise the mixture will be too wet.
1 Cup of cooked lentils
1 medium carrots (grated)
1 clove of garlic (chopped)
1 cup of kale (cooked)
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of chili flakes
1 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional but recommended as it helps the mixture stick together better)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp tahini paste
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper (if your tray is non-stick)
2. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl except for the eggs, which you can beat in a separate bowl and then add into the mixture.
3. Make sure you stir it well so all the ingredients are combined and the egg has coated the mixture well.
4. Then scoop out about two tablespoon’s worth of the mixture into mounds on your baking sheet – if you’d prefer smaller ones, just use one tablespoon’s worth.
5. Place in the over and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, leave to cool and then devour! :)
NB. These bites can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, or frozen for about a month.