(Makes approximately 2 large jars full or 3-4 regular jam jars)
N.B. This does not contain any suet and therefore can be considered vegan – much better for a party!
· 175g raisins
· 175g almonds (finely chopped)
· 175g golden raisins
· 175g sultanas or glacier cherries
· 175g dried cranberries (unsweetened)
· 1 large cooking apple (grated)
· 125g vegetable oil
· 200g dark soft brown sugar
· 1 tsp mixed spice
· 1 tsp nutmeg
· ½ tsp cinnamon
· 2 tsp ground ginger
· 1 orange, juice and zest
· 200ml whisky or brandy
1. Place all the ingredients except the whisky in a large saucepan over a low heat. Stir to mix until the oil has melted then cook for 10 minutes over the low heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Set the oven to 150 Celsius. Wash some glass jars in hot soapy water, rinse then leave in the oven upside down for about 15 minutes.
4. Remove the jars from the oven. Stir the whisky into the fruit mixture then pack into the jars trying to minimise the number of air pockets. Put lids on the jars and seal well. Leave in a cool place until needed.