Hearty Bean Stew
This stew is truly a filling and warming bowl of deliciousness – it’s packed full of nutrients and plant-based protein, and so perfect for a quick supper on a chilly night. Beans are bursting with magnesium and iron and are of course high in fibre and protein. I often use canned beans and chopped tomatoes when short on time, but I always buy good brands such as Biona, or anything organic – it’s definitely worth it as not only are they additive-free but they taste so much better too! If you don’t have mixed beans then chickpeas would also work well.
1 tbsp of rapeseed or olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 white onion
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2 stems of celery
1 good-quality vegetable stock cube + 250ml of water
200g (1 small can) of unsalted sweet corn
1 tbsp good-quality tomato puree
400g (1 can) of mixed beans – kidney, garbanzo & cannellini (I used these by Biona)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
1 handful of fresh coriander to garnish
1. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Place a large saucepan on a high heat first adding the oil, and then when that starts to bubble, add in the garlic, onion, and cumin and coriander powder.
2. Let the onions sweat until they are tender and then add the chopped carrots, celery and tomato puree. Stir until well combined for about 5 minutes.
3. Then add the stock and tinned tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover the stew and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, add in the chili, beans and sweet corn. Stir for a further 5 minutes.
5. Take of the heat and serve. This will taste even better the next day!