Healthy Banana Bread
This is a fabulously nutritious way to use up overripe bananas and is quick and easy to prepare. You’ll need a standard loaf tin and some baking paper so you’ll be able to remove the bread easily when cooked. I love this, as since it’s gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free you don’t feel heavy after eating it. And as I always maintain – who wouldn’t want to indulge in healthy cake? Buckwheat flour is also a great gluten-free alternative to wheat flour and is also much cheaper to buy than ground almonds.
4 very ripe bananas (mashed)
½ cup almond or peanut butter
4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp baking power (gluten-free)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius and line the loaf tin with the baking paper.
2. Combine your bananas, eggs, and nut butter, and melted coconut oil in a blender, or mixing bowl, and mix well until all combined.
3. Then add in the buckwheat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla extract and salt and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into a loaf tin and pop it in the oven for about 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
5. Once cooked through (and don’t worry it is meant to be quite moist) remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 5 minutes before lifting it out of the tin.
6. Then slice it up and enjoy! These slices (once completely cooled) can also be frozen and make a great afternoon energizing snack.