Lentil, Kale & Avocado Salad
Makes two portions
Lentils, like all pulses, are full of protein and fiber. Kale is full of iron, avocado is full of omega-3 and good fats, which brighten your skin, strengthen your bones and aid your digestion. You could make a batch of this and eat it over a couple of days. The below is a basic recipe so feel free to jazz it up with some herbs such as basil, spices such as chili, use sundried tomatoes instead of fresh ones or add some extra avocado.
2 cups of Kale
1 cup of lentils
2 cups of water
juice of half a lemon
½ cup fresh tomatoes (chopped)
1 clove of garlic
½ tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp of olive oil
a pinch of salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the lentils in a saucepan and cover with the water, squeeze in the lemon juice and pop in the garlic clove. Bring to the boil and once boiled, turn the heat down so it simmers. It should take about 15 minutes to cook.
2. Once cooked, drain the water off and place the lentils in a bowl, making sure to lose the garlic clove.
3. Place the kale in saucepan with a little bit of water – so about in inch in height around the sides of the pan, and, with a lid on, bring to the boil for about 1.5 minutes.
4. Mix the kale into the lentils, and season with salt, pepper, olive oil. By now the garlic clove will be nice and soft so will spread evenly over the lentil mixture.
5. Then once cooled a bit (after about 5 minutes) stir in the chopped tomatoes, avocado and balsamic vinegar.
Tip - Make sure you keep an eye on the lentils as they cook as they turn from hard to soft very quickly. But if you do over cook them – never fear – throw them in a blender with some hot water, stock and 1 fried onion and make a soup. :)